Have you heard about the National Work Readiness Credential?
It's a 3-hour pass-or-fail assessment delivered over the web that is designed to measure competencies critical for entry-level workers, and consists of four modules:
1. Oral language (oral language comprehension and speech)
2. Situational judgment (cooperating, solving problems, etc.)
I love the idea of a transferable skills test; kinda like the SAT of the work world. I think this approach, combined with assess-and-select-yourself notions are two of the truly creative directions we're going in.
(1) Right now it's not available in all areas of the country.
(2) A searchable database (either as a recruiting tool or as a verification) would be great.
(3) Last but not least, employers have to be cautious that the position they're hiring for truly requires the competencies measured by this exam.
But all that aside, a promising idea. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Here are links to some of the many resources available: